Published: May 17, 2023 at 4:33 p.m. /
Take-Two Interactive Software has just released its financial results for the fourth quarter of its fiscal year, covering the period between April 2022 and March 2023, along with updated sales information forGrand Theft Auto VURed Dead Redemption 2.
Net sales were $1.45 billion, up 56% year over year. Recurring consumer spending (primarily microtransactions, season tickets, etc.) grew by 94% year-on-year and accounted for 79% of total revenue.
Despite the increase in revenue, the company posted a net loss of $610.3 million, including a $465.3 million charge to acquisition-related assets and a $54.2 million charge to software development costs for unreleased and canceled games. The internal cancellation of a string of matches was also confirmed by CEO Strauss Zelnick in his prepared remarks.
For the full fiscal year, net sales increased 53% year-over-year to $5.35 billion. Of this, permanent consumer spending accounted for 78% of the total amount and increased by 84% compared to the previous year. Total net loss for the fiscal year was $1.12 billion, including impairment charges of $465.3 million for acquisitions and $79.1 million for development costs of canceled and unreleased games
As usual, the official press release included a comment from CEO Strauss Zelnick, who said that the development timeline for "several high-profile, long-awaited titles" has been extended, meaning they've been delayed internally.
We closed fiscal year 2023 with a bang. Our fourth quarter net bookings were $1.4 billion, above the high end of our guidance range, driven by Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Zynga's mobile portfolio.
We also issued guidance for fiscal year 2024, which includes net provisions of between $5.45 billion and $5.55 billion. Our forecast reflects a challenging consumer environment as well as extended development timelines for several highly anticipated titles in the pipeline. We believe we are entering our next phase of growth in fiscal 2025 as we plan to deliver several groundbreaking titles that we expect will set new standards for quality and success and enable us to reach more than $8 billion in net bookings and more than $1 billion in adjusted Unrestricted operating cash flow. We expect this momentum to continue with additional growth in operating performance in fiscal year 2026.” 3 “After many years of investment and creative development, we are excited about this next chapter for Take-Two. As we execute on our strategy and release what we expect to be a slew of hit titles, we believe we will grow our scale and margins, generating industry-leading returns for our shareholders.
Continue to sell certain video games,Grand Theft Auto Vhas shipped over 180 million units (bringing the franchise to over 400 million units cumulatively) andRed Ded Redemption 2more than 53 million units have been shipped as of March 2023, with the RDR franchise having shipped more than 75 million units in total.
The previous update, which was delivered in February (updated in December 2022), hadGTA 5on more than 175 million units, docRed Dead Redemption 2was more than 50 million units.
We learn that tooBorderlands 3over 17 million units were delivered. NBA2K23 shipped over 11 million units.
The filing also included Take-Two's game update for a total of 52 games planned for release by fiscal year 2026 (which ends in March 2026), including several we've already seen on be aware and recently - teased a collaboration between Private Divisioni Pokemon programer Game Freak.
As usual, this is just a snapshot of the process and some games may be canceled or postponed, while others may be added to the list.
The press release also included a list of key metrics for all Take-Two brands:
- On April 14e, Take-Two announced that it has completed an underwritten public offering and sale of $1.0 billion in aggregate principal amount of its Senior Notes, consisting of $500 million of its 5,000% Senior Notes due 2026 and $500 million of its 4,950 % Senior Notes due 2028. Subsequently, the company used $350.0 million of the proceeds to repay all of its outstanding term loans. The rest of the proceeds will be used for general corporate purposes, including the redemption or cancellation of other outstanding debts of the company.
- On January 19e, announced thatGrand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - Definitive Editionis available for purchase on Steam and on sale until February 2ndzdas part of the Rockstar GamesPublisher Sale. With modern controls, graphics and environment upgrades and other improvements — this versionGrand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City,UGrand Theft Auto San Andreasthey can be played on Steam Deck and support additional features including achievements and more.
- Rockstar Games has continued to provide a range of free content to its huge and growing online community, including:
- During this period, Rockstar Games remained passionate, globalGrand Theft Auto onlinecommunity with a range of new content includingLast dose– the film's epic finaleDrug wars in Los Santosupdate as well as a roaming Gun Van, Taxi Work missions, a new 50 car garage, new vehicles, clothing, weapons, mods and more.
- Through the GTA+ premium membership program, registered members enjoy a rotation of various exclusive in-game benefits, including vehicles, business opportunities, special upgrades and many other in-game benefits.
- Driven by engagementRed Dead-onlinethrough a series of monthly bonuses and rewards, seasonal themed gifts and more.
- Continue to drive engagement forNBA 2K23with the launch of new seasons with new music, content and rewards.
- On March 17e, 2K and published visual conceptsWWE 2K23, the latest sequel to the flagship modelWWE 2Kvideo game franchise developed by Visual Concepts for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC via Steam. In honor of his 20theanniversary as a WWE Superstar, 16-time world champion, Hollywood icon, philanthropist andWWE 2K23The executive producer of the soundtrack, John Cena, is on the cover of every edition of the game.WWE 2K23features several improvements to the franchise, including a unique new take on the 2K Showcase,WWE 2Kintroducing fan favoritesWar games, and expansions for several major game modes.
- In addition, there were updates for itWWE Supercard, including a new WrestleMania 39 card tier, Battle Pass, Twitch rewards, themed special events and more.
- PGA TOUR2K23continues to impress critics and gamers alike, claiming the title of "Top Rated Golf Sim" of the last decade on Xbox and PC.
- Keep supportingPGA TOUR2K23with bonus features as well as introducing Matthew Fitzpatrick and John Cena as playable golfers.
- On March 23ed, 2K and LEGO Group announcedLEGO® 2K experience, the ultimate racing adventure game, available worldwide on May 19e, 2023. Razvio Visual Concepts,LEGO2K drivedevelops the legendary LEGOplay experience with a huge, open world where players can build any vehicle, drive it anywhere and become a LEGO racing legend.LEGO2K drivewill be the first release in a multi-title collaboration between 2K and theLEGO Group.LEGO2K drivecombines the best elements of open-world driving and fast-paced competitive racing, while introducing a diverse vehicle customization system.
- On February 17e, 2K announced that industry veteran and Firaxis Games COO Heather Hazen has been promoted to Head of Studio, ushering in a new era of development at the legendary interactive entertainment studio behindSid Meier's Civilization,XCOM, and recently published and critically acclaimedMarvel's Midnight Sun. As Studio Head, Hazen will lead Firaxis Games' development teams and their mission to build the best strategy games in the world. With 22 years of experience in games and entertainment, Hazen joined Firaxis Games in 2020 as the studio's Chief Operating Officer.
- On March 16e, 2K and Firaxis createdCivilization VIavailable for Xbox Game Pass.
- 2K and Marvel were supported during the quarterMarvel's Midnight Sunwith three DLC packs, inclThe good, the bad and the undead, launched on January 26e,Repayment, launched on February 23ed, iHungry, which launched on March 21sv.
- On February 24ePrivate Division and Intercept Games announced itKerbal 2 space programis available in PC Early Access on Steam, Epic Games Store, Private Division Store and other digital stores.Kerbal 2 space program, the sequel to the original rocket simulation game that sold more than 5 million copies worldwide, ushers in the next generation of space adventure by allowing players to build their own space program with hundreds of new and improved parts, an enhanced boarding experience, modernized visuals, vivid and realistic environments with unprecedented detail, customizable spacecraft color schemes and more.Kerbal 2 space programwas built from the ground up to expand in the coming years.
- On March 7e, Private Division, Obsidian Entertainment i Virtuos objavili su toOuter Worlds: Spacer's Choice Editionis available on Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and PC.Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Editionintroduces improved lighting and environments, dynamic 4K resolution, enhanced detail resulting in more realistic characters, increased level cap to level 99, and more.
- On May 9e, announced a partnership to publish a new title from Game Freak. Founded in 1989, the Japanese development company has created dozens of popular games, including more than 30 entries in the Pokémon franchise, widely recognized as one of the best-selling game series of all time.
- On January 19e, Chartboost announced Chartboost Mediation, the company's largest expansion of the Helium platform to date. Chartboost Mediation provides mobile app developers and publishers with a comprehensive solution to increase revenue, making Chartboost's tools and services some of the most advanced in the industry today.
- On February 14e,Realms and puzzlesto be releasedSeason of love, a new in-game event that features rare, epic, and legendary heroes that players can use in epic battles, giving them a better chance of getting their hard-earned epic hero tokens.
- On February 23ed, Rollic celebrated his first birthdayFill the fridge!
- On March 1sv, Top Eleven launched a Mastermind campaign in February and March supporting a new feature, Season in Review, and a new game mode, Proving Grounds.
- On March 13e, MVO Racing2launched the European Invitational - a celebration of Europe's love of cars, featuring some of the best cars from across the continent.
- On March 20e,Zynga Poker has introduced 'Cash Clash', a new event inspired by the tournament, giving players even more ways to compete against each other in the classic game of Texas Hold'Em Poker.
- On March 27e, Zynga Turkey launched a new game,Backgammon plus, which reinvents the popular board game.
- On April 27e, has announced the promotion of Akshay Bharadwajas, the new head of its Socialpoint studio. In his previous role as Vice President and General Manager of Zynga India, Bharadwaj oversaw the live operation of many titles in the Zynga portfolio, includingFarm villagefranchises, while building teams to create new games for the mass market.
To compare today's results with historical data, you can view Take-Two's previous financial announcement in February,through our special article.
More from TechRaptor
- The worrying success of GTA V Diamond Casino
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Review - Wild Wild West Part 2
- Red Dead Redemption 2 pc-lanceringtrailer
Learn more about this game GAME INFORMATIONMore about this game Developer Rock Star North Publisher Rockstar games Platform PC,Xbox One,Xbox 360,PlayStation 4,PlayStation 3 Date of publication September 17, 2013 (calendar) Genre Open world,Third person shooter Purchase (some links may be affiliate)
In this article
Learn more about this game
GAME INFORMATIONMore about this game
Rock Star North
PC,Xbox One,Xbox 360,PlayStation 4,PlayStation 3
Date of publication
September 17, 2013 (calendar)
Open world,Third person shooter
Purchase (some links may be affiliate)
- Take two interactive
GTA5 has sold over 180 million units; RDR2 surpasses 53 million as Take-Two has 52 games in development? ›
GTA5 Has Sold Over 180 Million Units; RDR2 Passes 53 Million as Take-Two has 52 Games in Development. Take-Two announced its financial results for the fourth quarter of the fiscal year, on top of an update on sales for Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2.How many units did GTA 5 sell? ›
GTA 5 cumulative unit sales worldwide 2015-2023
As of May 2023, Grand Theft Auto V has sold over 180 million units worldwide. First released in 2013, GTA V is one of the best-selling video games of all time.
It broke several records and had the second-biggest launch in the history of entertainment, generating US$725 million in sales from its opening weekend and exceeding the lifetime sales of Red Dead Redemption in two weeks.How many copies did GTA 5 sell in the first day? ›
Extensively marketed and widely anticipated, the game broke industry sales records and became the fastest-selling entertainment product in history, earning $800 million in its first day and $1 billion in its first three days.How many times was Red Dead Redemption 2 sold? ›
RDR2 cumulative unit sales worldwide 2018-2023
As of February 2023, Red Dead Redemption has sold 50 million units worldwide. The action-adventure game is developed by Rockstar games under the parent company Take-Two Interactive.
GTA 5 has sold 175,000,000 copies as Red Dead Redemption 2 hits 50,000,000.Has anyone 100% RDR2? ›
"My Dad finally did it," kelverone wrote on Reddit. "69 years old and got 100% completion today!" The Redditor included a picture of a brilliant text exchange between himself and his dad, in which his pops said he was "going to do it again" as a little reward for having done it in the first place.How much is RDR2 net worth? ›
“Red Dead Redemption 2” has now sold more than 23 million copies worldwide, helping to bump Take-Two Interactive net revenue to $1.25 billion in the third quarter, up from $480.8 million in the same period last year, the company announced Wednesday.Does GTA 6 come out? ›
Reportedly, Rockstar Games is set to release GTA 6 in 2024 and fans can expect a trailer and gameplay reveal later this year. It is also possible that this latest installment may delay until the 2025 spring. However some experts also suggest that the game may not be live until 2026 holiday.
How much money did GTA V make in 24 hours? ›
Popular on Variety. The release of Rockstar Games' “Grand Theft Auto V” generated $800 million sales in 24 hours around the world, a record for any game from Take-Two Interactive, and the “GTA” franchise itself.What is the most sold game in 24 hours? ›
When it comes to video game sales, there's simply no competing with the monster that was “GTA V.” Within 24 hours, the game had made $800 million, a record-shattering amount equating to roughly 11 million copies.Is Red Dead Redemption 2 bigger than GTA? ›
Red Dead Redemption 2 game world is the largest Rockstar has ever made – even bigger than the gargantuan GTA 5 map. This is both in terms of sheer scale and the fact that characters primarily travel on horse-back in RDR2, as opposed to the plane, trains and automobiles featured in GTA 5.Will there be a RDR3? ›
Red Dead Redemption 3 Is Not Rockstar's Current Priority
The current road map for Rockstar doesn't help Red Dead Redemption 3's case at all, as the company's priorities currently lie elsewhere. It has been reported previously that Grand Theft Auto 6 is the sole current-gen title that Rockstar is focusing on right now.
Member of the Van der Linde Gang, Arthur is Dutch's trusted right arm, and the main story protagonist in Red Dead Redemption 2. As of 1899, he is 36 years old.What is the #1 game in the world? ›
PUBG, Minecraft, and Apex Legends are among the most popular online games in the world.What is the #1 video game right now? ›
|4.||The Sims 4||Electronic Arts|
- Tetris (1984) - 520 million.
- Minecraft (2009) - 238 million.
- GTA V (2013) - 175 million.
- Wii Sports (2006) - 82.9 million.
- PUBG (2017) - 75 million.
While nowhere as violent as "Red dead redemption 2", which is way more violent and gorier, the violence is more frequent, as said before. There is a ton of violence and fighting in this game. Much of the violence is played for comedy, though, and it's very over-the-top.Is there any game better than RDR2? ›
Set in Ancient Greece, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a great game that helped bring more value back to the franchise after Origins. The game features more RPG elements than ever and if you're a fan of RDR2, that level of detail in customization is something you should be able to appreciate.
Is RDR2 map bigger than GTA 5? ›
The Red Dead Redemption 2 map is much larger. Twice the size of the GTA V map, maybe larger. The Red Dead Redemption 2 would feel much larger than the GTA V map if they were both the same size, too.How many total kills in RDR2? ›
Over the game's six chapters, our sad cowboy racks up an outrageous 1,149. That is a lot of corpses. To put that into context, that's more than three times the entire population of Fordwhich, the smallest village in England.How long did it take you to 100% RDR2? ›
When focusing on the main objectives, Red Dead Redemption 2 is about 50 Hours in length. If you're a gamer that strives to see all aspects of the game, you are likely to spend around 179 Hours to obtain 100% completion.Who is the rich person in RDR2? ›
Leviticus Cornwall is the second-most hated man in Red Dead Redemption 2, right behind you-know-who. The ultra-tycoon has a personality we're not even sure a mother could love. But calling him an “antagonist” is, if you'll pardon the pun, a bit rich.How much is Arthur Morgan's bounty? ›
8 Arthur Had A High Bounty
It is revealed by Andrew Milton that Arthur has a $5000 bounty on his head. Arthur jokes he should turn himself in to cash it, but it might be higher than that by the end of the game.
Timothy A. Donahue is a self-proclaimed author and alleged philanthropist trying to sell his book Get Rich Quick on the streets of Saint Denis.What is the expensive gun in RDR2? ›
The LeMat is a weird, almost experimental gun. It's the most expensive revolver in the game, coming in at a price of $172. It's also the most powerful revolver, capable of dropping most enemies with a single headshot. Its main drawbacks are its extremely slow reload and rate of fire stats.How much game is left after Arthur dies? ›
Click to start this article in
The game jumps forward several years following Arthur's death at the end of Red Dead Redemption 2's main story, and it's 1906 by the time the epilogue (starring John Marston once again) starts, so a good seven years have passed.
The stunning visuals, the size and detail of the open world, the story, the performances - all exceptional. Love or hate this game, I'm not sure we've seen a title as technically impressive since it released.Is GTA 6 gonna have a girl? ›
There will be a female protagonist
The game will feature a playable female protagonist for the first time, according to people familiar with the matter. The woman is Latina and will be one of a pair of leading characters in a story influenced by the bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde.
Is GTA 6 even confirmed? ›
Yes, Grand Theft Auto 6 was officially announced by Rockstar Games in February 2022 and is in active development. Rockstar suffered a massive leak that revealed far more than they would have liked to be in the public eye too early.Who is GTA 6 coming out? ›
GTA 6 Release Date: When is GTA 6 Coming Out? Rockstar Games, the developer of the Grand Theft Auto franchise, first confirmed that the “next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series is well underway” in February 2022 via an official Newswire post.How long is 1 GTA hour in real life? ›
2 minutes is an hour in GTA. 120 seconds irl time, is 60 minutes (an hour) in GTA time.How much is 1 GTA hour in real life? ›
One of the major differences in the HD Universe is that time now moves at a rate of one in-game minute for every two real-life seconds. Therefore, one in-game hour is now two real-life minutes and one in-game day is now 48 real-life minutes.What is the longest GTA story? ›
The longest game in the series is the popular San Andreas. In this title, players are put into the shoes of CJ as he returns to the place he grew up, getting involved with the local gangs in the process. The story has gang warfare, betrayal, and plenty of shootouts.What game made 800 million in 24 hours? ›
'Grand Theft Auto V' makes $800 million in 24 hours, poised to become world's fastest-selling game.What is the highest profit video game? ›
The highest-grossing video game of all time is Dungeon Fighter Online, which has grossed $20 billion worldwide (mostly in Asia) as of 2022.What game has the longest hours? ›
1. Persona 5 Royal. The longest single-player story in gaming can be found within Atlus's preeminent JRPG Persona 5 Royal. HLTB lists the average completion time for its story at 101 hours.Is GTA 5 the most sold game ever? ›
This is how the list of the 10 best-selling games in history would look like with data updated to December of last year 2022: Tetris (1984) - 520 million. Minecraft (2009) - 238 million. GTA V (2013) - 175 million.How much money did GTA 5 make in 24 hours? ›
Grand Theft Auto V is officially the fastest-selling game in the history of the series, and it could go on to be the fastest-selling game ever made. Today, publisher Take-Two Interactive announced that the game pulled in $800 million dollars on its very first day, faster than any previous game in GTA history.
How did GTA 5 sell so much? ›
That's because unlike previous installments, GTA 5 comes complete with its own bespoke multiplayer spin-off. Creating Grand Theft Auto: Online as a fully fleshed out game-within-a-game, is the biggest reason why GTA 5 has become such a sales juggernaut.How many copies did Elden Ring sell? ›
Elden Ring has sold 20 million copies worldwide, according to Bandai Namco and FromSoftware. The game, which was released on February 25, 2022, has reached the notable milestone just days shy of its first anniversary.How long did it take GTA 5 to make a billion dollars? ›
By Andrew Webster, an entertainment editor covering streaming, virtual worlds, and every single Pokémon video game. Andrew joined The Verge in 2012, writing over 4,000 stories.How much is GTA V money worth? ›
USD to GTA.
|Amount||Today at 8:34 am|
|0.5 USD||37,878,787.88 GTA|
|1 USD||75,757,575.76 GTA|
|5 USD||378,787,878.79 GTA|
|10 USD||757,575,757.58 GTA|
It's the quintessential Grand Theft Auto formula, fusing an open-world adventure with unbridled criminal action, humorous content, and a great, immersive story. With GTA 5, the attention to detail is superb, and the open world feels lived-in, which helps in terms of immersion.How much did God of War sell? ›
Sony Santa Monica announced that its November tentpole game, God of War Ragnarok, has passed another sales milestone — over 11 million copies sold in the first three months post-launch. That more than doubles its sales that it achieved in the first week after launch on November 9, 2022.Did Elden Ring sold 20 million copies? ›
In little more than a year, Elden Ring has sold approximately 20.5 million copies. That's according to an investor report spotted by a ResetEra forum user (via Eurogamer ).Is Elden Ring the most game ever? ›
In total, Elden Ring has received 331 awards setting an absolute record for the industry – no other title has ever received such a number of wins in the Game of the Year category. Here's the full list of games that received Game of the Year awards in 2022, according to the ResetEra research (as of January 4, 2023):